Discovering Great Mormon Buildings

Archive for April, 2011

Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Detail


Four different types of wood and a light-colored brick that doesn’t distract from the wood finishes throughout the chapel. On the left edge you can also see the start of the clerestory glazing that runs the length of the chapel on each side. The light coming through this glass would always be diffused since it is under the large overhangs of the roof. Even still, the glass is currently covered with blinds, blocking most of the light out, which is probably the result of the difficulty to open the blinds after each of the many satellite broadcasts that are given in chapels.

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Skylights


This is looking up at the ceiling of the chapel. The gap in the structural framework allows for the skylight across the ridge.

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Exterior

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Chapel Interior

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Detail

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Exterior

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Bountiful 9th Ward Cultural Hall

585 E Center
Bountiful, UT
Built 1958
Architect: William Frederick Thomas
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Cultural Hall


This is the level below the chapel that used to be the Cultural Hall.

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Balcony

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Exterior

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Farmington Ward Window

272 N Main
Farmington, UT
Built 1862
Click for Map Location of Building


Farmington Ward Lobby

272 N Main
Farmington, UT
Built 1862
Click for Map Location of Building


Yalecrest Ward Exterior

1035 S 1800 E
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1936
Architect: Ashton and Evans
Click for Map Location of Building


Mesa 2nd Ward Site Plans

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Images from Slideshow:

  • Original Construction – the first image is an assumed site plan not based on original drawings.
    Date: 1912/1915
    Architect: Unknown
  • Chapel and entry connector piece added to original meetinghouse
    Date: 1934
    Architect: Louis Alexander
  • Phase 1 Remodel: Demolition of original meetinghouse portion of building. Large addition, including Tower, new entry and lobby.
    Date: 1961
    Architect: Martin Ray Young
  • Phase 2 Remodel: Large addition, including Cultural hall and classrooms, creating an exterior courtyard.
    Date: 1961
    Architect: Martin Ray Young
  • Current Site Plan

15 W 1st Ave
Mesa, AZ
Click for Map Location of Building


Richmond Ward Chapel Interior

330 Carlston St
Richmond, CA
Built 1959
Architect: Douglas W Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


Richmond Ward Stained Glass

330 Carlston St
Richmond, CA
Built 1959
Architect: Douglas W Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


Richmond Ward Chapel Interior

330 Carlston St
Richmond, CA
Built 1959
Architect: Douglas W Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


Richmond Ward Exterior

This building is quite prominent, sitting in the middle of a residential neighborhood in East Richmond. It is easily visible from the freeway (I-80) and from what I can tell is one of the few LDS buildings that has not had a renovation or addition since it was completed.

330 Carlston St
Richmond, CA
Built 1959
Architect: Douglas W Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


Payson 2nd Ward Exterior

110 S 300 W
Payson, UT
Built 1896
Unknown architect
Click for Map Location of Building


Hotel Utah Chapel

Now called the Joseph Smith Memorial Building
15 E South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1911
Architect: Parkinson and Bergstrom
Click for Map Location of Building


Sunset Ward Organ

It appears that the chapel organ pre-dates the building. ‘Dedicated to the Memory of Hannah Morrison Thatcher 1941.’

1601 22nd Ave
San Francisco, CA
Built 1945
Click for Map Location of Building


Granite Stake Tabernacle Chapel Interior

Also known as the Lincoln Ward Meetinghouse
2005 S 900 E
Salt Lake City, UT
Plans dated April 1929
Architect: Anderson & Young (Edward O Anderson & Lorenzo S Young)
Click for Map Location of Building


Granite Stake Tabernacle Pulpit

Also known as the Lincoln Ward Meetinghouse
2005 S 900 E
Salt Lake City, UT
Plans dated April 1929
Architect: Anderson & Young (Edward O Anderson & Lorenzo S Young)
Click for Map Location of Building


Salt Lake 5th Ward Exterior


The faded sign above the front entry says ‘Latter-Day Saints Ward Assembly Hall’

740 S 300 W
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1910
Architect: Cannon and Fetzer
Now Tibetan Buddhist Temple & Red Lotus School of Movement
Click for Map Location of Building