Discovering Great Mormon Buildings

Archive for May, 2011

Berkeley Ward Window

1501 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA
Built 1934
Architect: Theodore G Ruegg
Click for Map Location of Building


Berkeley Ward Exterior

1501 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA
Built 1934
Architect: Theodore G Ruegg
Click for Map Location of Building


Provo 1st Ward Chapel Balcony

195 S 100 E
Provo, UT
Built 1928
Architect: Pope & Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


Provo 1st Ward Chapel Interior

195 S 100 E
Provo, UT
Built 1928
Architect: Pope & Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


Provo 1st Ward Exterior

195 S 100 E
Provo, UT
Built 1928
Architect: Pope & Burton
Click for Map Location of Building


American Fork 2nd Ward Detail

130 W 100 S
American Fork, UT
Built 1903-04 with large addition in 1929. Sold 1984.
Architect: 1903 – Probably James H Pulley; 1929 – Young and Hansen
Now Bigelow & Co Organ Builders
Listed on National Register of Historic Places
Click for Map Location of building


American Fork 2nd Ward Entry

130 W 100 S
American Fork, UT
Built 1903-04 with large addition in 1929. Sold 1984.
Architect: 1903 – Probably James H Pulley; 1929 – Young and Hansen
Now Bigelow & Co Organ Builders
Listed on National Register of Historic Places
Click for Map Location of building


American Fork 2nd Ward Addition

In 1929 a large addition was constructed to the west (left of the photo) that formed a U-shaped building with the U facing the street and providing a central entry to the building. The addition matches the original style of the building quite nicely and contained the recreation hall and classrooms. Very little modification to the building has been done since. The building was sold in 1984 to Michael Bigelow in favor of a new building. At that time, a residence was created upstairs in the Sunday School room and a Pipe organ design and manufacturing plant in the main floor and basement. Windows and other features were restored, a wood shop placed in the gym and an assembly shop in the chapel.

130 W 100 S
American Fork, UT
Built 1903-04 with large addition in 1929. Sold 1984.
Architect: 1903 – Probably James H Pulley; 1929 – Young and Hansen
Now Bigelow & Co Organ Builders
Listed on National Register of Historic Places
Click for Map Location of building


American Fork 2nd Ward Exterior


This meetinghouse is a Gothic revival building constructed in 1903-04 containing a chapel, square entry vestibule with 35′ tower above, and a two-story section in the rear containing classrooms and offices. The large addition constructed in 1929 and selling of the building in 1984 will be shown and discussed in the next photo.

130 W 100 S
American Fork, UT
Built 1903-04 with large addition in 1929. Sold 1984.
Architect: 1903 – Probably James H Pulley; 1929 – Young and Hansen
Now Bigelow & Co Organ Builders
Listed on National Register of Historic Places
Click for Map Location of building


New Orleans Ward Steeple and Light

3613 St Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA
Built early 1980′s
Click for Map Location of Building


New Orleans Ward Exterior


Built right off the Historic St Charles streetcar line, this chapel was custom built (not a standard plan) in the 1980′s to meet the local historic district codes. The building was not damaged during Hurricane Katrina since it is raised up from ground level. Only several feet of water flooded. The building is small and has a single multi-purpose space that doubles as the chapel and cultural hall. As such, there are current plans to extend the building thirty-two feet to the west where a grassy area now exists.

3613 St Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA
Built early 1980′s
Click for Map Location of Building


Ogden 6th Ward Windows

682 23rd Street
Ogden, UT
Built before 1912 (1909?) and Sold 1987
Currently vacant and in major disrepair
Click for Map Location of Building


Ogden 6th Ward Exterior


This building was possibly built in 1909, but for sure by 1912 for the Ogden 6th Ward, who continually used the building until at least 1977. From approximately 1981 through 1986 the building was vacant. In 1987, the building had been sold to the Zion’s Spanish Assembly of God. I am unsure of who the owner is today, but the building sits vacant once again and in disrepair.

682 23rd Street
Ogden, UT
Built before 1912 (1909?) and Sold 1987
Currently vacant and in major disrepair
Click for Map Location of Building


Vallejo Ward Exterior


This building was built in three main phases. The Assembly room that is now the Recreation Hall was built first in 1943. A large Classroom addition was built in 1954. Finally the Chapel and Tower as seen on the left half of this photo were added in 1955. The chapel and tower addition were planned at the time of the classroom addition in 1954. The most likely reason for separating the two phases a year apart from each other was funding. Fortunately, all three of these designs were all by the same architect. A fourth addition was done much later in 1973 by architect Brian L Johnson. This addition consisted of a new classroom wing that protruded forward towards the street and in some ways mirrored the chapel that also had been brought forward to the street.

110 Los Santos Ct
Vallejo, CA
Built 1943
Architect: Theodore G Ruegg
Click for Map Location of Building


Central Park Ward Detail

304 E 2700 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1926
Click for Map Location of Building


Provo 4th Ward Detail

396 N 100 W
Provo, UT
Built 1925
Now Sharpe Reception Center (currently vacant and for Sale)
Click for Map Location of Building


Provo 4th Ward Exterior

396 N 100 W
Provo, UT
Built 1925
Now Sharpe Reception Center (currently vacant and for Sale)
Click for Map Location of Building


Provo 4th Ward Exterior


Sadly, the restoration of the large ballroom in the Provo Academy at Library Square in 2002 has led to the decline of wedding receptions in this historic chapel. Immediately in 2003, business dramatically dropped. Had the building owners not previously paid off the building, they would have lost it. The building currently sits abandoned and for sale, with disrepair already setting in.

More info:
Reception halls suffering as library books weddings
Reception centers sing blues

396 N 100 W
Provo, UT
Built 1925
Now Sharpe Reception Center (currently vacant and for Sale)
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Chapel Interior


This would have originally been an exterior wall but a building addition was placed adjacent to this side of the chapel blocking the sunlight from coming through the lower windows. The addition is apparently shorter than the chapel since sunlight is still coming through the small round upper windows.

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Chapel Interior


This would have been the front of the Chapel and the location of the Rostrum.

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Claremont Ward Lobby

2334 Stuart Street
Berkeley, CA
Architect: Possibly Leslie Dean Price (He designed the Overlook chapel in Walnut Creek – a similar looking building)
Dedicated 1955. Renamed Oakland 5th Ward in 1965. Ward dissolved in 1970 and sold to a Christian church – possibly the Unification Church (Moonies). Sold to Hare Krishna’s several years after this.
Now the New Jagannatha Puri (ISKCON Berkeley Hare Krishna Temple)
Click for Map Location of Building


Claremont Ward Window

2334 Stuart Street
Berkeley, CA
Architect: Possibly Leslie Dean Price (He designed the Overlook chapel in Walnut Creek – a similar looking building)
Dedicated 1955. Renamed Oakland 5th Ward in 1965. Ward dissolved in 1970 and sold to a Christian church – possibly the Unification Church (Moonies). Sold to Hare Krishna’s several years after this.
Now the New Jagannatha Puri (ISKCON Berkeley Hare Krishna Temple)
Click for Map Location of Building


Claremont Ward Cultural Hall


My best guess is that this space used to be the Cultural Hall. If so, we are looking at what used to be the stage. Through the arch on the right would have led to the Chapel.

2334 Stuart Street
Berkeley, CA
Architect: Possibly Leslie Dean Price (He designed the Overlook chapel in Walnut Creek – a similar looking building)
Dedicated 1955. Renamed Oakland 5th Ward in 1965. Ward dissolved in 1970 and sold to a Christian church – possibly the Unification Church (Moonies). Sold to Hare Krishna’s several years after this.
Now the New Jagannatha Puri (ISKCON Berkeley Hare Krishna Temple)
Click for Map Location of Building


Claremont Ward Chapel Interior


This would have been the front of the chapel where the location of the rostrum was.

2334 Stuart Street
Berkeley, CA
Architect: Possibly Leslie Dean Price (He designed the Overlook chapel in Walnut Creek – a similar looking building)
Dedicated 1955. Renamed Oakland 5th Ward in 1965. Ward dissolved in 1970 and sold to a Christian church – possibly the Unification Church (Moonies). Sold to Hare Krishna’s several years after this.
Now the New Jagannatha Puri (ISKCON Berkeley Hare Krishna Temple)
Click for Map Location of Building


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 425 other followers