Discovering Great Mormon Buildings

Archive for May 2, 2011

Claremont Ward Exterior

2334 Stuart Street
Berkeley, CA
Architect: Possibly Leslie Dean Price (He designed the Overlook chapel in Walnut Creek – a similar looking building)
Dedicated 1955. Renamed Oakland 5th Ward in 1965. Ward dissolved in 1970 and sold to a Christian church – possibly the Unification Church (Moonies). Sold to Hare Krishna’s several years after this.
Now the New Jagannatha Puri (ISKCON Berkeley Hare Krishna Temple)
Click for Map Location of Building


Oakland Tabernacle Entry

408 W MacArthur Blvd
Oakland, CA
Built 1923 and Sold 1959
Architect: Clay N Burrell
Now Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church
Click for Map Location of Building