Discovering Great Mormon Buildings

Salt Lake Valley

Salt Lake 8th Ward Chapel Interior

270 E 500 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1921
Architect: Cannon and Fetzer
Click for Map Location of Building


Forest Dale Ward Chapel Dome

739 E Ashton Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT
Foundation built 1902; Completed 1903; Dedicated 1905
Architect: Samuel T Whitaker (original architect Peter Mortensen)
Part of Forest Dale Historic District on National Register
Click for Map Location of Building


Forest Dale Ward Chapel Interior

739 E Ashton Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT
Foundation built 1902; Completed 1903; Dedicated 1905
Architect: Samuel T Whitaker (original architect Peter Mortensen)
Part of Forest Dale Historic District on National Register
Click for Map Location of Building


Forest Dale Ward Exterior


A competition was held to select an architect for this meetinghouse, and the person selected was ward member Peter Mortensen. His 1901 design for the building was a three-spired classical building. Foundation work began that year on the building. By December, Mortensen had an accumulated debt of $3800 for lumber materials on other projects. The treasurer for the lumber company was James Hay. Mortensen invited Hay to his home on the evening of December 16th to pay the debt. Hay went to Mortensen’s home but was never seen alive again. His body was discovered the next morning buried in a fresh mound of dirt in a close-by field.

Of course the incident brought construction of the meetinghouse to a halt and brought a division in the ward. Mortensen neither admitted nor denied that he was guilty of the crime, but was tried in court for the murder. Half of the members of the ward “knew” he was not guilty and the other half “knew” he was. Those for Mortensen wanted the building to go ahead as he had planned. Those against would not contribute another penny toward its erection using his design. The impasse was cleared up by holding another competition to provide a new meetinghouse design to be used on the existing foundation. A design submitted by architect Samuel Whitaker was accepted in April 1902. After the new design was developed, construction on the meetinghouse resumed. Paralleling the ongoing construction was the trial, which continued with great drama described by the Salt Lake Tribune as “the most celebrated murder trial since the days of John D. Lee and the Mountain Meadow massacre.” Mortensen’s attorneys received a death threat in July 1902 if they continued to defend him. “Your house and home will be blown to atoms in case you make a motion for a new trial.” The case continued without incident and Mortensen was tried, convicted and executed in November 1903, receiving coverage as far as the New York Times. He was the ninth person to be executed by the state. The following month, the meetinghouse was completed and began to be used for services. Dedication services took place in 1905 by Church President Joseph F Smith.

The design of the new meetinghouse by Samuel Whitaker was quite different in appearance than Mortensen’s design, having a circular dome feature in the center of the chapel, rather than the three spires at the front of the building. Unique to LDS meetinghouses, the dome opened to the chapel space providing beautiful natural light through clerestory windows. The original rostrum had classical columns on each side of the chapel. These were removed in 1929 by Cannon and Fetzer who also added classrooms and hallways to connect to the cultural hall built at the rear of the building in 1913. During the 1970′s the interior of the dome was covered over with a ceiling, but was opened again during a remodel in 1986.

739 E Ashton Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT
Foundation built 1902; Completed 1903; Dedicated 1905
Architect: Samuel T Whitaker (original architect Peter Mortensen)
Part of Forest Dale Historic District on National Register
Click for Map Location of Building


Yale Ward Stained Glass


Another picture looking through the lobby windows to the stained glass located at the back center of the rostrum. When I get inside the chapel, I’ll post a higher res image.

1431 E Gilmer Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1924
Architect: Woolley and Evans
Classroom addition on west end in 1964 by Fetzer and Fetzer
Click for Map Location of Building


Yale Ward Chapel Art


The chapel was locked, so this picture was taken through the lobby windows seen in the previous picture.

1431 E Gilmer Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1924
Architect: Woolley and Evans
Classroom addition on west end in 1964 by Fetzer and Fetzer
Click for Map Location of Building


Yale Ward Lobby

1431 E Gilmer Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1924
Architect: Woolley and Evans
Classroom addition on west end in 1964 by Fetzer and Fetzer
Click for Map Location of Building


Yale Ward Stage Detail

1431 E Gilmer Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1924
Architect: Woolley and Evans
Classroom addition on west end in 1964 by Fetzer and Fetzer
Click for Map Location of Building


Yale Ward Exterior

1431 E Gilmer Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1924
Architect: Woolley and Evans
Classroom addition on west end in 1964 by Fetzer and Fetzer
Click for Map Location of Building


Park Stake Center Exterior

750 S 800 E
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1952
Click for Map Location of Building


Salt Lake 34th Ward Exterior

131 N 900 W
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1921; Sold 1984
Now Miracle Rock Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Salt Lake 31st Ward Exterior

1140 S 900 E
Salt Lake City, UT
Now Realms of Inquiry private school
Click for Map Location of Building


Bonneville Ward Entry Lobby


The doors with the glass surround lead to the overflow space between the chapel and cultural hall which includes ample natural light and a fireplace with stone hearth. The doors to the right lead directly to the cultural hall.

1535 E Bonneview Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1949
Click for Map Location of Building


Bonneville Ward Stained Glass

1535 E Bonneview Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1949
Click for Map Location of Building


Bonneville Ward Chapel Interior

1535 E Bonneview Dr
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1949
Click for Map Location of Building


Murray 1st Ward Exterior

184 E Vine St
Murray, UT
Built 1907; Sold about 1975
Now Mount Vernon Academy private school
Click for Map Location of Building


Central Park Ward Detail

304 E 2700 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1926
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Door


Beautiful door and hardware typical of this building. Also above the door is a good view of the clerestory glazing that leads to the chapel.

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Salt Lake 30th Ward Exterior

1068 Jefferson St
Salt Lake City, UT
Built between 1901 and 1903
Vacant 1983 (possibly 1980-84)
Sold 1984/85
Now SLC Foursquare Church
Click for Map Location of Building


Salt Lake 25th Ward Exterior

Amusement hall (to the left of the entry) was built first, in 1902. Chapel (to the right of the entry) added later. This building was donated by the LDS church in 1988 to the Salvation Army. Thomas S Monson handed the building keys over in a ceremony on the 19th of June.

438 S 900 W
Salt Lake City, UT
Cornerstone laid 24 Jul 1902
Donated 1988
Now Salvation Army
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Detail


Four different types of wood and a light-colored brick that doesn’t distract from the wood finishes throughout the chapel. On the left edge you can also see the start of the clerestory glazing that runs the length of the chapel on each side. The light coming through this glass would always be diffused since it is under the large overhangs of the roof. Even still, the glass is currently covered with blinds, blocking most of the light out, which is probably the result of the difficulty to open the blinds after each of the many satellite broadcasts that are given in chapels.

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Skylights


This is looking up at the ceiling of the chapel. The gap in the structural framework allows for the skylight across the ridge.

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Exterior

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Holladay 13th and 20th Ward Chapel Interior

2675 E 4430 S
Salt Lake City, UT
Built 1963
Architect: Jackson and Sharp
Also known as the Pagoda Chapel
Click for Map Location of Building


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 425 other followers